Current recommended guidelines include:
- Assessment and stabilisation of any medical condition prior to pregnancy
- Consider genetic screening to assess the risk of having a baby with a genetic disease
- Check vaccination status and vaccinate if required
- Advise folate (at least 400mcg) and higher doses if required for at least one month prior to conception
- Advise iodine 150mcg daily as well pre-pregnancy
- Aim for a healthy weight range with assistance from other health care professionals if required.
- Reduce alcohol consumption and stop smoking if necessary also stop all other illicit substances and seek support if needed.
- Male health is important too. Remember it takes two to make a baby and maintaining a healthy diet and weight is important for men as well.